EXCELLENCE IN EDUCATION SINCE 1982
since-1982

University Preparatory School – Victorville, CA

Award Year 2016

Exemplary High Performing Schools

University Preparatory School

13853 Seneca Road
Victorville, CA, 92392-9339

(760) 243-5940

Ms. Valerie Hatcher, Principal at time of Nomination

Choice School

Victor Valley Union High School District

School Website

 

Mission

University Preparatory provides high expectations, academic supports, and fosters student aspirations to further his or her education beyond the baccalaureate level.
 

Student Demographics

  • Black/African American: 7%
  • White: 16%
  • Hispanic: 66%
  • Hawaiian/Pacific Islander: 1%
  • Asian: 8%
  • Native American: 1%
  • Two or more races: 1%
  • ELL: 1%
  • Economically Disadvantaged: 66%
 

Download

pdf icon to print school application
 
Full Application
 
UP Flag team performance for high school prep rally.

UP Flag team performance for high school prep rally.

Summary

University Preparatory School utilizes a collaborative model in which students, staff, and parents work together to foster an environment of high expectations. Our mission is to promote academic and character excellence, to provide effective instruction and support, and tailor resources such that each student is able to access a world-class education. Our vision is to ignite a passion for learning, and illumine paths for its obtainment.

In this pursuit, a variety of challenging academic courses are offered, including 15 AP courses that are offered to 750 high school students, 85% of whom are enrolled in two or more AP courses. Additionally, students are required to exceed the minimum A-G UC and CSU entry standards. Despite being a Title I school comprised primarily of low income students, 85% of our graduating seniors are accepted to and attend a four year college. The remaining 15% attend community college or join the military.

Since academic success alone is not enough to create a well-balanced student, we offer several extra-curricular opportunities. Students have access to ten CIF high school sports teams, eight of which have achieved league championships. We have a competitive middle school sports program. Students participate in over thirty clubs and organizations, along with our award winning music program includes over 80% of the student population.

We believe in always doing what is best for students and propelling them to be highly successful members of the school community who strive toward excellence. It is this motto that directs our day-to-day work.