Award Year: 2013

United North Elementary School

411 W. Hunt Avenue
Alexis, IL, 61412-8902

(309) 482-3332

Sue Wilson, Principal at time of Nomination

United CUSD 304

School Website

Mission

Community, students, staff at United North work together to empower students to achieve their full potential by becoming life-long learners and productive members of our world.

Student Demographics
  • White: 97%
  • Hawaiian/Pacific Islander: 1%
  • Two or more races: 2%
  • Economically Disadvantaged: %
Application

United North Elementary is one of two elementary schools in the rural United School District in western Illinois. The district covers 363 square miles and serves nine communities. The district was formed in 2004 when two districts consolidated and later annexed another district. United North is located on the northern edge of Warren County. The school averages 240 students each year serving grades pre-kindergarten through fifth grade with 92% of the students being white and the other 8% is black, Asian, and multi-racial.

The school has an established Response to Intervention Program (RtI). The school uses AIMSweb to screen reading and math three times a year. The school the uses that information along with teacher recommendations to deliver tier 2 and 3 services to students depending on where they fall using national norms. The tier 2 program is a school-wide time where all students are working on supplementing their reading and math work.

The school is also in its third year of implementing the Positive Behavioral Intervention and Support System (PBIS) and is implementing at a tier 2 level. This program has reduced the behaviors in the school and focuses on keeping the children in the classroom where learning can take place. Tier 2 services are provided for children who need more support with their behavior.

The school has implemented the Daily Five Reading Approach in grades K-5. This program is showing a great impact on students' reading performance.

The school also has an active parent-teacher group who work on fund-raising to support the school in funding programs and equipment. This is truly a building where everyone cares.